Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Trails, Colorado

Wilbur and I have done it, we have bid adieu to Colorado.  


After three days of butt cramped driving with one blissful day of rest at my parents house in Tupelo (we even woke up to the smell of bacon, twice), we arrived in Florida, and it is not the Florida I remembered from my youth.   There are swamps and marshes and endless vistas of trees and, as far as I know in my little world consisting of our hotel room and our plants, no beach.  
From left - Jolly, Edgar and Oscar.  Not pictured - Tanqui and Pickle.
At least, we haven't had time to even go and see if there's a beach.  Google maps says there is, so I'll trust it for now, even though it has let me down in the past.

Our wondrous move to Florida has so far been filled with nothing but Wilbur working from the hotel and me trying to find us a place to live.  This did not go as easy as planned.  We quickly learned that approximately 98% of houses listed as for rent are, in my opinion, inhospitable.  Some were vacated and filthy, some were still occupied and filthy, others asked an exorbitant amount of money because you might have been able to the the Atlantic if you scaled a 200' ladder and used binoculars to boot.  Seeing as how we only had the 6' x 12' U-Haul trailer with every ounce of our life's belongings in it for one week, we were getting desperate to find a place and unload our contents onto Florida soil.  

The disgorged contents of our U-Haul.
We finally struck paydirt last night.  Wilbur found a house right down the street from the hotel we are holed up in.  The pictures on the website looked amazing, so I called the owner, Jun Li.  He turned out to be a very pleasant and cordial fellow that we took to immediately.  His wife's name is Annie Lu, and we got along like peas in a pod from the moment we met.  His house was immaculate and absolutely every thing we have been looking for.  Most importantly, only the master bedroom closet has any carpet in it, the rest of the house having Brazilian Koa wood and tile.  It has more rooms than we can furnish, but we're working on that.  Mom and Dad have graciously stored lots of furniture for us in Tupelo, we just have to figure out how to get it down to us.  I may be venturing back up in a Budget truck next week, but it will be worth every spine jolting bump in the road.  The fun never ends.

Front of the house

The nature preserve behind the house
Quick hits:
Dab - Florida's license plates look like the side of the jug of Tropicana orange juice that my Mom served us from for breakfast last week.  I will try to hang on to my Colorado 10th Mountain Division plates for as long as possible.

Dab - This soft water is turning my already long showers into intolerable prune fests.  And I still come out feeling like a new born eel.  Uck.

Fab - As of right now, humidity rocks.  The humidity makes a strong wind feel gentle, caressing even. It does wonders for my hair and skin.  Like!

Fab - The people are extremely nice.  So far.

Here are some more pictures from our day in Tupelo:
My Mom showing how well the cups they are giving us will match the scenery in Florida.   Good thing, we smashed our dinnerware on the way down.

My first knick knack!  Proud!

My niece, Paris.  Or if you like, Peep.  

My nephew, Carden.

Me and Meredith showing the donkey who's boss.

I learned a few things in Colorado.  

Victory is ours.

He's gonna ride that donkey donkey.

Flower blossom






No comments:

Post a Comment